For how very delicious this ‘pie’ is, I couldn’t believe how easy this recipe is to throw together. I didn’t have a lot of time the other evening and had this ready to go in about 20 minutes (not counting time in the oven). The flavors are great, the bbq sauce is just sweet enough – I like the flavor the salsa adds, it gives the perfect tang. If you have access to Jiffy cornbread mix this recipe is even easier – where I live we don’t have it so I made the cornbread myself. I bought precooked chicken breasts and just shredded them with a fork, but if you want to cook it yourself you can just poach two breasts in simmering water for about 15 – 20 minutes before shredding. Enjoy!
from: ben rayl, in copenhagen dk
problems viewing this recipe?
click here for a printer friendly, text version
- for the cornbread:
- all purpose flour - 2/3 cup
- yellow cornmeal - 1/2 cup
- sugar - 3 tbsp
- baking powder - 1 tbsp
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- (the above can be substituted with 1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix)
- egg - 1
- butter - 2 tbsp, melted
- milk - 3/4 cup
- corn - 1/2 cup canned, drained
- jalapenos - 3 tbsp pickled, chopped
- for the chicken:
- olive oil - 2 tbsp
- onion - 1 medium, chopped
- garlic cloves - 3, minced
- chicken breast - 2 large, cooked and shredded
- salt and pepper - use very generoulsy
- chili powder - 1 tbsp
- cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- tabasco - 2 tsp
- worcestershire sauce - 2 tbsp
- mexican salsa - 1 cup
- water - 1 cup
- brown sugar - 1 1/2 tbsp
- cheddar cheese - 1 1/2 cups, shredded
to make the cornbread:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C) and grease a 9" pie pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt together well. Whisk in the egg, butter and milk, until the batter is smooth then stir in the corn and jalapenos.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pie pan and bake for about 15 minutes, or until set and golden brown.
to make the bbq chicken:
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until beginning to soften, about 3 - 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in the chicken, salt and pepper, chili powder, cumin and hot sauce then cook for about 3 more minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the worcestershire, salsa, water and brown sugar. Stir this into the chicken then reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture thickens, about 7 - 10 minutes.
- Pour this over the cornbread then sprinkle the cheese on top. Put it back in the top third of the oven with the broiler on high until the cheese is melted and begins to brown.