I love sour cream coffee cakes. I love the flavor and the denseness it adds. This cake is loaded with blueberries and a touch of lemon zest. It’s the perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee and is sure to please any brunch or weekend guests. The crunchy layer on top is perfectly sweet and nutty – you can use pecans if you prefer, I just had walnuts handy. If you use frozen blueberries, be sure to rinse them off so they don’t turn the whole cake blue, and tossing them in a bit of flour will keep them from all sinking to the bottom.
from: ben rayl, in copenhagen dk
- for the topping:
- flour - 1/2 cup
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- brown sugar - 1/4 cup
- cinnamon - 1 tbsp
- butter - 2 tbsp softened and cut into small pieces
- walnuts - 1 cup, coarsely chopped
- for the cake:
- eggs - 4 large
- sour cream - 1 1/2 cups
- vanilla - 1 tbsp
- butter - 3/4 cup (170 g), melted then cooled
- flour - 2 1/4 cups
- sugar - 1 1/2 cups
- baking powder - 1 tbsp
- baking soda - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- blueberries - 1 cup fresh or frozen
- lemon zest - 1 tbsp
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C) and grease a 9"x 13" baking pan.
- Stir together the flour, sugars and cinnamon in a small bowl. Remove about half of this mixture to a separate bowl and set aside. Add the butter to one of the bowls and rub it in gently with your fingers, until lumps form. Add the nuts as well and gently mix them in.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and sour cream, then stir in the melted butter and vanilla and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Add the liquid ingredients in several batches, using an electric mixer to beat well after each addition.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and lemon zest.
- Spread one third of the batter in the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle over half of the sugar topping. Repeat this layer again, then spread the remaining batter over the top.
- Sprinkle the walnut topping on top of the final layer and bake for about 45 - 60 minutes, or until a toothpick test comes back clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes before serving.