4 Flares 4 Flares ×
Baked Chicken Parmesan
For a lighter take on a delicious classic, try this oven baked chicken parmesan. It's way less greasy, and just as delicious as the pan fried version. This dish is an excellent weeknight choice - it's quick, easy and crazy good.
- dijon mustard - 2 tbsp
- oregano - 1 tsp, dried
- cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp
- salt and pepper - to taste
- egg - 1
- skim milk - 1/2 cup
- parmesan cheese - 3/4 cup, grated
- bread crumbs - 3/4 cup
- chicken breasts - 2, boneless, skinless - halved and pounded to 1/4
- olive oil - for brushing
- Italian pasta sauce - 1 jar, good quality
- mozzarella - 1 ball, fresh - thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (205 C).
- Mix the dijon, oregano, cayenne and salt and pepper together in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg and milk together. In a third bowl, combine the parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Dredge the chicken in the mustard mix, coating both sides, then dip it in the egg mix and finally coat completely with the breadcrumbs/parmesan, pressing the meat into the breadcrumbs to coat well.
- Place the chicken breasts in a glass or ceramic casserole dish and brush lightly (or spray) with olive oil on all sides. Bake until they chicken breasts are browned and cooked through - about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and spoon about 1/4 cup of tomato sauce on each piece, then top with the sliced mozzarella.
- Return to the oven for about 5 more minutes to heat the sauce and melt the cheese, then serve on a bed of pasta and garnish with fresh basil and more grated parmesan.