0 Flares 0 Flares ×
The Best Buttermilk Pancakes Ever
Pancakes made with buttermilk are probably my favorite kind of pancakes. This recipe yields thick, flavorful pancakes every time. They're perfect for any breakfast or brunch - topped with savory bacon or sweet blueberries, they're delicious.
- all-purpose flour - 2 cups
- sugar - 2 tbsp
- baking powder - 2 tsp
- baking soda - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- eggs - 2
- buttermilk - 2 cups
- milk - 1/2 cup
- butter - 1/4 cup (55g), melted
- oil - for griddle (I use butter)
- fruit or nuts - optional (I always add blueberries, bananas and/or nuts are great too)
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the buttermilk, milk and melted butter.
- Just before you’re ready to cook the pancakes, add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once, and stir just long enough to blend. The batter should be lumpy. If you want to add fruit or nuts, stir them in now, or you can sprinkle them on the pancakes when they’re on the griddle.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or heavy skillet over medium-high heat (375 degrees on an electric griddle). Pour 1/2 cup batter per pancake onto the griddle or skillet, spacing the pancakes apart so they don’t run together.
- When bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes and the undersides are lightly browned, turn and cook for about 1 – 2 minutes longer, until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Serve immediately on warmed plates with the topping of your choice, or keep warm in the oven.
Add to Favourites