The BLT Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This BLT grilled cheese sandwich combines two of the greatest sandwiches ever. Crisp lettuce and fresh tomato are the perfect bed for the gooey cheese and crispy bacon. This sandwich is the best grilled cheese ever, and goes perfectly with tomato soup for a spectacular lunch or light dinner.
- bacon - 8 - 10 slices
- tomatoes - 4 thick slices
- butter - 2 tbsp, melted
- garlic - 1 clove, pressed
- bread - 4 slices, good quality sandwich bread
- mayonnaise - just a bit
- cheddar cheese - about 1/3 cup, coarsely shredded
- havarti - about 1/3 cup, coarsely shredded
- dijon - just a bit
- romaine lettuce - 2 good pieces or leaf lettuce
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy, then remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Remove most of the grease from the skillet, then return it to medium heat and fry the tomatoes for about 1 - 2 minutes on each side, enough to seal them. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Stir the pressed garlic into the melted butter, and let sit for a couple of minutes.
- Use a brush and spread the butter on one side of the pieces of bread, then stack the pieces together 2 by 2 with the buttered sides touching.
- Spread some mayonnaise on the top pieces of bread, then add the shredded cheddar.
- Put the seared tomato slices on the cheese, then stack the bacon on top and pack on the grated havarti.
- Heat a clean skillet up over medium-low heat and carefully lift the open sandwiches into the pan, leaving behind the bottom pieces of buttered bread.
- Spread some dijon mustard on the non-buttered side of the remaining slices of bread, then place them on top of the sandwiches in the pan.
- Cook about 4 minutes on each side, pressing down occasionally with a spatula - until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Remove the sandwiches from the skillet and use your spatula to open the sandwich between the bacon and tomatoes and slide in the lettuce.
- Serve with chips, or better yet a warm bowl of tomato soup.