This creamy chicken and rice casserole is loaded with tasty portobello mushrooms and wild rice. A cheesy homemade cream sauce holds it all together - it's a great one dish dinner bake, so easy to throw together. It's a perfect solution for a quick, easy, great meal.
Check out these kitchen essentials helpful in making this recipe:
- wild rice blend - 1 1/2 cup
- butter - 4 tbsp
- celery - 1 stalk, finely chopped
- onion - 1 small, finely diced
- portabella mushrooms - 10 oz (300 g), halved then thinly sliced
- all purpose flour - 1/4 cup
- chicken stock - 1 cup
- milk - 1 cup
- chicken breasts - about 2 cups, cooked and chopped
- cheddar cheese - 1 cup, shredded
- salt and pepper - use very generoulsy
- panko bread crumbs - 3/4 cup
- parmesan cheese - 1/2 cup, finely shredded
- butter - 2 tbsp, melted
- Bring about 4 cups of water to boil in a medium pot, add the rice blend then cover, reduce heat and simmer until about 5 minutes below package recommended cook time.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Heat the butter in a large, nonstick skillet, then add the celery and onion and cook over medium low heat for about 3 - 5 minutes, until softened.
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the mushrooms and cook for about 3 more minutes, or until the mushrooms begin to release their juices.
- Sift the flour over the mushrooms, stir to combine, then add the stock and milk and cook over medium high heat until thickened and bubbling (stirring constantly) - about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and cheese, generously salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- When the rice is cooked, drain it well, then immediately stir into the chicken mixture.
- Grease a large casserole dish and transfer the chicken to the dish.
- Put the breadcrumbs in a small bowl, add the parmesan - drizzle with melted butter and toss well, then sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Cook in the oven for about 35 - 40 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.