These chocolate chip scones break away from tradition, they’re pretty rich and dense. The brown sugar gives their sweetness a depth that goes great with the chocolate chunks. Serve with a butter and jam and a nice cup of tea or coffee.
from: ben rayl
problems viewing this recipe?
click here for a printer friendly, text version
- Prep Time : 20 minutes
- Cook Time : 40 minutes
- Yield : 8 large scones
- buttermilk - 1/2 cup cold plus 1/4 cup for brushing scones
- egg - 1 large
- brown sugar - 1/4 cup
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- all-purpose flour - 2 1/4 cups
- baking powder - 1 tbsp
- baking soda - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- butter - 6 tbsp (85 g), cold and cut into small pieces
- dark baking chocolate - 1 cup, roughly chopped
- sugar - for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
- In a bowl whisk together 1/2 cup of the buttermilk, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla until the mixture is well combined.
- In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt then mix in the butter with your fingers or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Gently stir the wet mix into the flour mixture, using a fork, until it comes together as a dough, then stir in the chocolate pieces.
- Remove the dough to a floured surface, and knead gently for about 1 minute, then pat it into a 3/4 inch thick round and cut it into 8 wedges.
- Put the wedges on a baking paper lined baking sheet, and brush with the remaining buttermilk, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for about 15 - 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
[wpurp-searchable-recipe]chocolate chip scones – – – [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]Add to Favourites