Coconut Cream Pie (and Chocolate) Bars
A crunchy shortbread crust is the perfect base for these coconut cream pie bars. With a layer of chocolate ganache in between, these bars will quickly become your favorite dessert.
- for the crust:
- all purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
- coconut - 1 cup, shredded
- powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- butter - 3/4 cup (170 g) cold, cut into small pieces
- for the chocolate ganache:
- dark chocolate - 10 oz (250 g), coarsely chopped
- heavy cream - 1/3 cup
- for the coconut cream filling:
- whole milk - 3 cups
- coconut milk - 2 cups
- eggs - 4 large
- egg yolks - 2
- sugar - 1 cup +2 tbsp
- cornstarch - 3/4 cup
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- vanilla - 1 tsp
- coconut - 1 1/2 cup, shredded
- for the whipped cream topping:
- coconut - 1/2 cup, shredded and toasted
- heavy whipping cream - 1 1/2 cups
- powdered sugar - 1/4 cup
to make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C) and grease a 9x13 baking pan. Line the bottom with baking paper, then grease the paper.
- Mix the flour, coconut, powdered sugar and salt together in a large bowl until well blended.
- Add the butter and mix in with your fingers or a pastry cutter until the dough resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the pan and bake until golden brown - about 25 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
to make the chocolate ganache:
- While the crust is baking, make the chocolate ganache.
- Combine the chocolate pieces and cream in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of boiling water. Stir until the chocolate is melted and blended with the cream.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then spread the chocolate over the cooled crust.
- Put the chocolate covered crust in the fridge to chill until the ganache has hardened and the crust is completely cool - about 1 hour.
to make the coconut filling:
- While the crust is chilling make the coconut cream filling.
- Stir the whole milk and coconut milk together in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk constantly until the mixture boils and becomes very thick then remove from heat, run through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl, then stir in the vanilla and coconut.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes, then pour the custard over the cooled ganache and refrigerate until chilled - about 4 hours.
to make the whipped cream topping:
- Toast the coconut by placing it in a skillet and cooking over medium heat until golden brown - about 5 minutes, stirring or tossing often so it doesn't burn. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Pour the whipping cream into a large bowl, add the powdered sugar and mix with electric mixer on medium speed until thickened and soft peaks form.
- Cut the chilled custard filled crust into bars and remove from their pan. Fill a pastry bag with the whipped cream and decoratively pipe onto each bar, then sprinkle with the toasted coconut. Serve chilled.