Crispy on the outside, flavorful and creamy on the inside, these avocado fries will change the way you think of this amazing fruit. These delicious fries are perfect with a sandwich, served on the side of something hearty, or a great appetizer with a creamy dip.
- avocados - 3, ripe, but not too
- kosher salt - use generously
- all purpose flour - 1/3 - 1/2 cup
- eggs - 2
- water - 2 tbsp
- panko bread crumbs - 1/2 - 3/4 cup
- salt and pepper - use very generously
- oil - for frying
- Cut the avocados in half, then carefully remove the seed and cut through the flesh, separating into 4 sections per half (be careful when cutting that you don't cut through the skin).
- Use a soup spoon to scoop out the wedges from the skin, put on a plate and sprinkle generously with sea salt.
- Put the flour on a shallow plate, then coat each slice well with flour and remove to a clean plate.
- Beat the eggs well with the water and put in a shallow plate/bowl.
- Put the bread crumbs in the same kind of bowl and season well with salt and pepper, then mix well.
- Dip the floured slices into the egg wash, then roll quickly in the bread crumbs, being careful to not let them clump too much, then remove to a plate until all are coated. (add more breadcrumbs as necessary)
- Pour about 1" of oil into a large frying pan, and heat over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot and sizzles if you drop a breadcrumb in it, then add as many slices of avocado as can fit without touching, and let cook for about 45 seconds before turning carefully with a fork and cook for an additional 30 - 45 seconds, until crispy and brown.
- Remove from oil and allow to drain on paper towels.
- Keep warm in a warm oven if you want.