The Best Jalapeño and Cheddar Cornbread
This cornbread is insanely good - the combination of jalapenos and cheese and beer make it absolutely extraordinary. It doesn't have a lot of cornmeal in it, so it comes out more as a hearty, grainy bread. It's the perfect cornbread for chili or something super saucy.
- all-purpose flour - 3 cups
- cornmeal - 1 cup
- sugar - ¼ cup
- baking powder - 2 tbsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- milk - 1 cup
- beer - 1 cup
- eggs - 3, beaten
- butter - 1 cup (227g), melted
- cheddar cheese - 8 ounces (200 g), grated
- jalapenos - 3 – 4 tbsp - pickled, roughly chopped
- In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (including the jalapenos).
- Quickly add the wet mix to the dry, and stir until the batter is almost smooth. (it will be very thick)
- Heat the oven to 425 F (200 C), and let the batter rest while the oven is heating.
- Grease a large cast iron skillet, large springform, or 2 regular sized bread pans with butter, scrape in the dough, and smooth the top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown, and a toothpick comes out clean.
(be sure and do the toothpick test, even though it can appear done on the outside, it’s very important that it’s cooked through).