Pasta e Fagioli is classic Italian comfort food. It is insanely delicious, and it's perfect on a chilly evening. This soup is hearty and filling, but not too heavy - it's just right. Be careful to not let the pasta overcook or it will get mushy - don't forget that the pasta will continue to cook after you've removed it from the heat.
- vegetable oil - about 3 tbsp
- carrots - 4, large, peeled and chopped
- onions - 2, large, diced
- celery - 3 stalks, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper - use very generoulsy
- ground beef - 1 lb (400 g)
- tomatoes - 2 14 oz (400 g) cans, diced, with juices
- pasta sauce - 2 14 oz (400 g) cans
- kidney beans - 1 14 oz (400 g) can
- white beans - 1 14 oz (400 g) can
- beef stock - 4 cups
- italian seasoning - 1 tbsp
- oregano - 2 tsp, dried
- tabasco - 1 tbsp
- pasta - 3 cups, macaroni, dried
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, then add the carrots, onions, and celery - generously add salt and pepper and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the ground beef and cook until brown.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients (except the pasta), bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes, until the carrots are not quite tender.
- Add the pasta and cook until for a couple more minutes, then remove from heat and let sit - be aware the pasta will continue to cook as the soup rests and can get over cooked very easily - if the soup thickens too much as it rests, just stir in some water to thin it out.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.