Quick and Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce & Video
Homemade enchilada sauce is so much better than buying canned or jarred in the supermarket. It's the easiest thing in the world to make, and you can vary the flavors greatly by playing around with different chili powders. You can use chipotle, ancho, pasilla or for a milder flavor a more standard New Mexico chili powder. You can also add as much cayenne as you want if you want a spicier sauce.
here’s a video showing how to make it:
- vegetable oil - 2 tbsp
- flour - 2 tbsp
- chili powder - 2 tbsp
- water - 2 cups
- can tomato puree - 1 8 ounce (140 g) can, double or triple concentrate
- oregano - 1 tsp
- cumin - 1/2 tsp
- cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp, or to taste
- garlic powder - 1 tsp
- onion powder - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Stir in the flour and the chili powder, then reduce the heat slightly, and stir constantly until starting to brown.
- Stir in the water, tomato paste, oregano, cumin, cayenne, garlic and onion powders and salt, and mix until smooth.
- Simmer over medium heat until thickened, about 5 - 10 minutes.