9 Flares 9 Flares ×
Quick, Easy Enchilada Sauce
You can vary the flavors greatly by playing around with different chili powders you can use chipotle, ancho, pasilla or for a milder flavor a more standard New Mexico chili powder. Add as much cayenne as you want if you want a spicier sauce.
- vegetable oil - 2 tbsp
- flour - 2 tbsp
- chili powder - 2 tbsp
- water - 2 cups
- can tomato puree - 1 8 ounce (140 g) can, double or triple concentrate
- oregano - 1 tsp
- cumin - 1/2 tsp
- cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp, or to taste
- garlic powder - 1 tsp
- onion powder - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Stir in the flour and the chili powder, then reduce the heat slightly, and stir constantly until starting to brown.
- Stir in the water, tomato paste, oregano, cumin, cayenne, garlic and onion powders and salt, and mix until smooth.
- Simmer over medium heat until thickened, about 5 - 10 minutes.