Simple Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
This recipe is so simple, but these sour cream chicken enchiladas have so much flavor you'd think they took hours. The enchiladas are made with sour cream and green chiles, so they are rich, creamy and flavorful - use additional jalapenos to make these as spicy as you want.
- vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- jalapeno - 1, seeded and minced
- onion - 1 large, diced
- chicken breast - 3 cups, cooked and shredded
- green chiles - 2 4 oz cans, drained and chopped
- chicken broth - 2 cups, divided
- heavy cream - 1/2 cup
- butter - 2 tbsp
- flour - 2 tbsp
- sour cream - 1 cup
- cumin - 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- monterey jack cheese - 2 cups, grated
- salt and pepper - use very generously
- flour tortillas - 12 small
- cilantro - chopped, for garnish
- Pre heat your oven to 350 F (175 C) and grease a 9 x 13" casserole dish.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and cook the jalapeno and onion together until beginning to soften, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, about half of the green chiles, 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and the cream and stir together well. Cook for a few minutes, until hot, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In another skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, then whisk in the flour - cook for about 1 minute, then pour the remaining chicken broth. Cook for another minute or two, whisking constantly, then stir in the remaining chiles, sour cream, cumin and garlic powder.
- Remove from heat and stir in half of the shredded cheese and generously salt and pepper.
- Heat the flour tortillas in the microwave about 30 seconds, just enough to soften them.
- Place about 1/3 cup of chicken filling in each tortilla, roll tightly, and place seam side down in your casserole dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until the cheese is beginning to brown and is bubbly.
Add to Favourites