This one skillet southwest chili mac is so easy and quick to throw together and so completely satisfying. It’s really easy to spice up more if you like (just add more cayenne), or leave it out completely if you have a milder palate.
I like to finish this off in the broiler, I like the way it melts the cheese better than just covering it and melting the cheese on the stove. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can use a Dutch oven or an oven safe skillet.
one pan dinners are the best! here's a couple more:
here’s a video showing how to make it:
- olive oil - 2 tbsp
- red onion - 1 medium, finely diced
- green pepper - 1/2, finely diced
- garlic cloves - 3, minced
- beef - 1 pound (500 g), ground
- chili powder - 1 1/2 tbsp
- cumin - 1 tsp
- cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp
- salt and pepper - use very generously
- diced tomatoes - 1 15 oz (400 g) can, with liquid
- tomato paste - 1 6 oz (140 g) can
- water - 1 1/2 cups
- corn - 1/2 cup, canned, drained
- black beans - 1 15 oz (400 g) can, drained and rinsed
- macaroni - 1 1/2 cups, uncooked
- cheddar cheese - 1 1/2 cups, shredded
- Heat the oil over medium low heat in a large cast iron skillet, dutch oven or oven-safe saute pan.
- Add the onions and pepper and cook until beginning to soften - about 4 minutes then add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Increase the heat to medium high and add the ground beef, breaking it up well with a wooden spoon and cook until browned.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, cayenne and salt and pepper and mix well.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, corn, beans and macaroni - mixing well.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally - until the pasta is just tender.
- Stir in half of the cheese, then sprinkle the rest on top and put in the top third of your oven with the broiler on 400 F (200 C) and allow the cheese to brown, then serve. (perfect with some jalapeno cheddar cornbread)