Super Easy, Super Hearty, Lentil Spinach Soup
Sometimes it’s hard to find a good recipe for a quick and healthy meal that is also hearty. Lentils are my go to for an easy healthy dinner, and this soup is the perfect example. It’s so quick to throw together for a week night dinner, and it’s so good for you. It’s also very customizable – you can add a bunch of other vegetables, or cubed chicken if you want some more protein.
For me the secret for delicious lentils is to make sure they are not overcooked. There are a few minutes only between too hard and too soft. Because of this, I like to check them every few minutes toward the end of the cooking time, because mushy lentils are no good. If you’re looking for a quick and easy, hearty and healthy dinner option – you cannot go wrong with this delicious soup.
- extra virgin olive oil - 2 tbsp
- carrots - 2, peeled and diced
- celery ribs - 2, finely diced
- white onion - 1, finely diced
- garlic cloves - 2, minced
- cumin - 1 tsp, ground
- crushed red pepper - 1/4 tsp
- cilantro - 1 small bunch, chopped
- salt and pepper - to taste
- lentils - 2 cups, rinsed
- diced tomatoes - 1 14 oz can, with juices
- vegetable broth - 6 cups
- baby spinach - 4 cups
This recipe is part of a series I am doing for Parade’s Community Table:
CLICK HERE FOR THE DIRECTIONS.