0 Flares 0 Flares ×
This simple enchilada casserole recipe is made with black beans, and is completely vegetarian. It's very flavorful and super easy to make, it's a quick option for a tasty, meat free dinner any night of the week.
- red onion - 1, finely diced
- red pepper - 1, finely diced
- jalapeno - 1 fresh, seeded and finely diced
- garlic cloves - 2 large, minced
- cumin - 2 tsp
- taco seasoning - 2 tbsp
- diced tomatoes - 1 14 oz (400 g) can, with juices
- salsa - 2 cups, separated
- black beans - 2 14 oz (400 g) cans, drained and rinsed
- flour tortillas - 6 - 8, cut into large strips
- cheese - 2 cups, shredded, cheddar blend or monterrey jack
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C), and grease a medium/large casserole dish.
- In a large, heavy bottomed skillet, over medium heat, saute the onion, red pepper, jalapeno and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high, and add the cumin and taco seasoning, stirring well until very fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes and 1 cup of the salsa, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans and stir well, then remove from heat.
- Spread about 1/3 of the black bean mixture across the bottom of the casserole dish, then add a layer of tortilla strips, letting them slightly overlap.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese on the tortillas, then add another layer of the black bean sauce, then repeat the whole process, so you have two layers of cheesy tortillas, and 3 of the black bean mixture.
- Spoon the remaining cup of salsa over the top of the casserole, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil, and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes uncovered.
- Serve garnished with jalapenos, diced avocado and/or sour cream.