Zesty Chicken Piccata Recipe
This zesty chicken piccata recipe is great for a super flavorful, dinner. The capers and lemon blend so well together and give such a light, refreshing taste to this classic dish. It's easy to make, and paired with some pasta it's perfect for a great lunch, or a light evening meal.
- chicken breasts - 2, boneless and skinless
- salt and pepper - to taste
- all purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- eggs - 2 large
- milk - 2 tbsp
- bread crumbs - 3/4 cup, seasoned
- parmesan cheese - 3 tbsp, grated
- butter - 6 tbsp, divided
- olive oil - 2 tbsp
- lemon juice - 1/3 cup, fresh squeezed
- white wine - 1/2 cup
- capers - 1/4 cup, rinsed
- lemon - 1, sliced into 4 1/4
- parsely - 1/3 cup, fresh, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Butterfly the chicken breasts, then separate the halves, so you have 4 smaller pieces. Pound the 4 pieces out between baking paper or plastic wrap to 1/4" thick and season all sides well with salt and pepper - set aside.
- On one plate, mix the flour with some salt and pepper. On a second plate or shallow bowl, beat the egg and milk together. On a third plate, mix the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Dredge the chicken cutlets in the flour, shake off any excess, then dip in the egg mixture and then coat with bread crumbs.
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, melt 2 tbsp of the butter and the olive oil. When hot, add the chicken and cook for about 2 minutes per side, until browned. Place on a baking paper lined baking sheet in the oven to finish cooking while you prepare the sauce.
- Carefully wipe the hot skillet out with a paper towel, return it to medium high heat and add the 1 tbsp of the remaining butter. When it is melted add the lemon juice, white wine and capers. Increase the heat to high and boil until reduced by half - about 2 or 3 minutes. Add the lemon slices and cook for another minute or two, then remove from heat and stir in the remaining 2 tbsp butter.
- Take the chicken out of the oven, spoon the sauce over the it and garnish with the lemon slices and chopped parsley. I love this with spaghetti on the side, but it's just as good with potatoes or another vegetable.
Add to Favourites