I have been seeing zucchini boats on all kinds of blogs and websites recently, so I decided to try them myself and I am so glad I did. These are delicious, and perfect summer food. The filling was a perfect combination with the zucchini, the tomato sauce added the perfect tangy sweetness. I used ground chicken because I wanted more of a pasta sauce type feel – but you can substitute cubed or shredded chicken breast if you want. You could easily make these vegetarian by just using mushrooms or any other vegetables. I used fresh mozzarella instead of shredded, I like the texture so much more, and the basil just adds pure deliciousness and pulls it all together. The cooking time leaves these zucchinis perfectly al dente – if you like your vegetables softer, you should add about 10 more minutes.
from: ben rayl, in copenhagen dk
problems viewing this recipe?
click here for a printer friendly, text version
- olive oil - 2 tbsp
- onion - 1 small, diced
- garlic cloves - 3, minced
- chicken - 1 pound (500 g), ground or 2 breasts, cooked and shredded
- italian seasoning - 1 tbsp
- salt and pepper - use very generously
- tomato sauce - 2 cups
- zucchini - 4 large
- fresh basil - 1/2 cup, chopped
- mozzarella cheese - 2 large balls, fresh
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and saute the onion for about 3 - 5 minutes, or until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and saute another minute or two.
- Increase the heat to medium high and add the ground chicken. Stir in the Italian seasoning, generously add salt and pepper and cook - breaking it up well - until done, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and let simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Heat the oven to 360 F (180 C).
- Cut the zucchinis in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and enough flesh to leave a 'boat', then place them in a greased casserole dish and generously salt and pepper them.
- Fill each boat with a heaping portion of the chicken, then cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, uncover the dish and sprinkle the mozzarella cubes, then the fresh basil over the tops.
- Turn your broiler on high, and return the dish to the top third of the oven for the cheese to melt, about 2 - 3 minutes.