11.3K Flares Made with Flare More Info'> 11.3K Flares ×
Stuffed with cheese, ham and salami this stromboli is over the top delicious. The onions and peppers add such great flavor and texture. It’s a great dinner, or cut into smaller sizes perfect for a party appetizer or brunch.
from: ben rayl
- olive oil - 1 tbsp
- onion - 1 medium, sliced into thin strips
- peppers - 2, various colors, sliced into thin strips
- garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- salt and pepper - use very generously
- italian seasoning - 1 tbsp
- pizza dough - 1 large, about 1 pound (500 g)
- mozzarella cheese - about 1 1/2 cups, shredded
- ham - about 6 oz (160 grams), sliced
- salami - about 4 oz (120 grams), sliced
- parmesan - about 2/3 cup, finely shredded
- egg - 1
- water - 1 tbsp
- Italian pasta sauce - for dipping
- Preheat your oven to 375 F (190 C).
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook the onion and peppers until beginning to soften, about 4 - 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and Italian seasoning and cook for another minute or two, then allow to cool on a plate.
- Roll the pizza dough out into a large rectangle, about 9"x13". Line a baking sheet with baking paper, then transfer the dough to the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese down the middle of the rectangle, then lay the ham slices on top of the cheese, slightly overlapping them.
- Spread the peppers and onions over the ham, then more mozzarella. Lay the salami slices on, then sprinkle on the parmesan.
- Use scissors or a sharp knife to cut strips into the dough on either side of the filling, making them about 1 1/2" wide. Criss-cross fold them tightly over the top decoratively - leaving small slits for air vents between them. Be sure to not cut all the way to the filling, but leave a little dough so the filling won't drip out.
- When you get to the end, fold up the end flap first, then cross over it to seal it tight. If you don't want to do a 'braid' you can just fold the sides over tightly, seal them together, then cut small slits across the top, about 1 1/2" apart.
- Whisk the egg and 1 tbsp water together, then brush over the top and sides of the bread.
- Bake for about 30 - 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with a good quality Italian pasta sauce for dipping.