I love margaritas. The sweet and sour lime combined with earthy tequila is probably one of my favorite flavor combinations. The weather is getting warmer, and I wanted to try my hand at making sorbet so for my first attempt I decided to try a margarita inspired flavor. I don’t have an ice cream maker, so I wanted to be able to just use my freezer. I read some techniques online and decided I would use egg white to help add creaminess. They definitely helped with the texture, although the sorbet still did turn out a bit icy – I think because of the tequila. The multiple freezing times are necessary to ensure that the egg white blends perfectly into the syrup. For my first time making sorbet I was very happy, this is delicious and I will try more flavors all summer long, I’m sure.
from: ben rayl, in copenhagen dk
- water - 2 cups
- sugar - 1 cup
- limes - 6, juiced and zested
- tequila - 4 tbsp
- egg white - 1
- salt - just a pinch
- Bring the water and sugar to boil over medium heat, stirring well to dissolve the sugar, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- When cool, stir in the lime juice, zest and tequila.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to whisk the egg white and salt until stiff. Add the lime juice syrup, and continue to whisk until it is mixed together well.
- Pour into a freezer safe container, cover tightly and freeze for about 2 hours then take out and stir very well.
- Return to the freezer for 3 more hours then take it out again and scrape the contents into a blender and blend on high speed until very smooth, then freeze until firm.