Driven by my hope for the true arrival of summer, and at the request of a friend for a perfect lemonade recipe, I made this delicious watermelon lemonade. I wasn’t sure if the lemon would take over the watermelon flavor – or how they would play together – but as it happens, they are a perfect combination. The watermelon flavor absolutely comes through, and blends perfectly with the sweet, tart lemon. It’s great by itself (for the kids) – but spectacular with vodka. This is definitely a cocktail I will be drinking all summer long.
from: ben rayl, in copehagen dk
problems viewing this recipe?
click here for a printer friendly, text version
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- water - 1/2 cup
- cold water - 3 cups
- lemon juice - 1 1/2 cups, fresh squeezed
- watermelon puree - 2 cups
- vodka - optional
- Make a simple syrup by bringing the sugar and 1/2 cup water to boil in a small pan. Allow to simmer for a few minutes, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the cold water, then pour into a pitcher and add the lemon juice and watermelon puree and stir to combine.
(to make the watermelon puree, just puree chopped pieces of melon in a food processor, then push through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds and pulp)
- If using vodka, use a cocktail shaker to shake 1 part vodka with 4 parts lemonade and pour over ice, or fancy it up a bit and serve straight up in a chilled martini glass.