For a lighter take on a delicious classic, try this oven baked chicken parmesan. It's way less greasy, and just as delicious as the pan fried version. This dish is an excellent weeknight choice - it's quick, easy and tastes amazing.
Take this baked chicken parmesan recipe to the next level with my Italian marinara sauce. These recipes combine to create a fantastic oven baked dish everyone will love. Enjoy the subtle crunch of the bread-crumb-covered chicken. Soak up the rustic marinara sauce's flavor and forget about store-bought pasta sauce forever.
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon oregano - dried
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ cup skim milk
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese - grated
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- 2 boneless chicken breasts - skinless
- for brushing olive oil
- 1 jar pasta sauce - good quality Italian
- 1 ball mozzarella - fresh
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (205 C).
- Mix the dijon, oregano, cayenne and salt and pepper together in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg and milk together. In a third bowl, combine the parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Dredge the chicken in the mustard mix, coating both sides, then dip it in the egg mix and finally coat completely with the breadcrumbs/parmesan, pressing the meat into the breadcrumbs to coat well.
- Place the chicken breasts in a glass or ceramic casserole dish and brush lightly (or spray) with olive oil on all sides. Bake until they chicken breasts are browned and cooked through - about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and spoon about ¼ cup of tomato sauce on each piece, then top with the sliced mozzarella.
- Return to the oven for about 5 more minutes to heat the sauce and melt the cheese, then serve on a bed of pasta and garnish with fresh basil and more grated parmesan.