This brownie cupcake recipe combine two of the best things ever: cheesecake and brownies. The texture on these amazing cupcakes is perfect - they're not too light yet not too dense. The cheesecake topping is just sweet enough and gives a bit of a crispy texture to counter the chewy brownie. Very, very yummy.
Brownie Cupcakes with Cheesecake Swirl
for the cheesecake swirl:
- 3 tbsp butter - softened
- 1 package cream cheese - 8oz
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp flour
for the brownie:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder - good quality
- 2 oz dark chocolate - coarsely chopped
- cayenne pepper - a pinch
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C) and line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
for the cheesecake topping:
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in the sugar and vanilla until smooth, then add the egg and mix well - then mix in the flour and set aside.
for the cupcakes:
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer and mix together the sugars and oil until well blended, then add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition - then mix in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, cayenne and cocoa.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture in a few batches, mixing well after each addition, then stir in the chocolate.
- Pour this mixture into the muffin cups, filling about ¾ full, then spoon about 1 tbsp of cheesecake mixture on top. Use a toothpick to gently swirl some of the cheesecake mixture into the brownie batter.
- Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes, or until a toothpick test comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly in the pan, then remove to cool completely on a wire rack.