Tangy tomatoes and peppers blend together seamlessly to give this chicken cacciatore its perfectly delicious traditional Italian flavors. Light, yet hearty - this dish never fails.
Classic, Delicious Chicken Cacciatore
Tangy tomatoes and peppers blend together seamlessly to give this chicken cacciatore its perfectly delicious traditional Italian flavors. Light, yet hearty - this dish never fails.Print Pin Rate Share
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper - generously
- 2 tablespoon flour - for dusting
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 1 medium green pepper - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - finely diced
- ½ cup red wine - dry
- 2 14oz tomatoes - diced with juice
- 3 tbps capers - optional
- 1 ½ teaspoon oregano - dried
- 1 large bay leaf
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Dry chicken with a paper towel, then sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper, and coat with a light dusting of flour.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat and brown the chicken on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove cooked chicken to a plate.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, and put the onions, peppers and garlic in the skillet. Add some salt and pepper and cook until the onion and garlic are browned, and the pepper softens – about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Add the wine, and raise heat slightly to reduce the liquid, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (with juice), capers, and oregano and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bay leaf, then place the chicken breasts in the pan, nestling them into the sauce.
- Simmer, partially covered, for about 25 – 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- If the sauce isn’t thick enough, remove the cooked chicken and keep warm, then increase the heat until the sauce reaches its desired consistency.
- Remove bay leaf from sauce and serve the chicken with rice or pasta, and maybe a green vegetable for color.
- I like this dish with brown rice and a hearty green vegetable like broccoli.
High Fiber • Dairy Free • Egg Free • Milk Free • Peanut Free • Tree Nut Free • Soy Free • Fish Free • Shellfish Free • Pork Free • Red Meat Free • Crustacean Free • Celery Free • Mustard Free • Sesame Free • Lupine Free • Mollusk Free • Kosher
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 50g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 146mg | Sodium: 617mg | Potassium: 1044mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 214IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg
I cannot use wine, what can I substitute for the wine in the recipe?