These crispy chicken flautas are really simple to make and very very tasty. They make an excellent spicy appetizer, and are perfect finger food. Serve them at your next fiesta and you're guaranteed to spice things up.
Crispy Chicken Flautas with Avocado Crema
for the flautas:
- vegetable oil - for frying
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small red onion - finely diced
- 1 jalapeno - finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 small rotisserie chicken - skin removed and finely shredded
- 1 cup salsa
- ¼ cup cilantro - finely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar - or mexican blend shredded cheese
- 2 limes - juiced
- salt - to taste
- 12 corn tortillas - or small flour
for the crema:
- 1 avocado - very ripe, pitted and flesh removed
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 lime - juiced
- salt - to taste
to make the flautas:
- In a heavy bottomed skillet, heat the butter over medium heat and sautee the onion and jalapeno until they begin to soften, about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes, then stir in the cumin and cayenne.
- Add the chicken and the salsa, mix well to combine, then cook for about 5 more minutes, or until heated through.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly, then stir in the cilantro, cheese, and lime juice and salt to taste.
- Place about ⅓ cup of filling in the center of a tortilla, and roll tightly, pulling the filling towards you as you roll. Place the rolled tortilla with the flap side down, if it doesn't stay together easily, then secure it with a toothpick
- Fill a frying pan with about 1 inch of oil, then heat it over medium high heat until hot.
- Place the flautas in the oil with the open side down, and fry until golden and crispy, about 2 - 3 minutes per side, checking often to make sure they're not browning too much. When they are cooked, remove to a plate with paper towels to allow them to drain, then keep them warm in the oven.
to make the crema:
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocado, then whisk in the sour cream, lime and salt until smooth and creamy - serve with warm flautas.