This chocolate chip scones recipe breaks away from tradition, they're pretty rich and dense. The brown sugar gives their sweetness a depth that goes great with the chocolate chunks. Serve with a butter and jam and a nice cup of tea or coffee.
Chocolate Chip Scones
- ¾ cup buttermilk - cold separate ¼ cup for brushing scones
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoon butter - 85 g cold and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup dark chocolate - roughly chopped
- sugar - sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
- In a bowl whisk together ½ cup of the buttermilk, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla until the mixture is well combined.
- In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt then mix in the butter with your fingers or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Gently stir the wet mix into the flour mixture, using a fork, until it comes together as a dough, then stir in the chocolate pieces.
- Remove the dough to a floured surface, and knead gently for about 1 minute, then pat it into a ¾ inch thick round and cut it into 8 wedges.
- Put the wedges on a baking paper lined baking sheet, and brush with the remaining buttermilk, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for about 15 - 18 minutes, or until golden brown.