When I was a kid, I used to go shopping with my mother and at the checkout line she would often buy us a box of chocolate-covered cherries. By the time we got home we had usually finished off at least the top layer, if not the whole box. I am pretty sure my love for all things cherry began there, and has just increased as I’ve grown older—perhaps you saw my post for Cherry Pie Chimichangas a couple weeks ago.
These cookies are the perfect embodiment of a chocolate-covered cherry. The frosting drizzled on top tastes exactly like thadeliciously sweet creamy filling. The cookie itself has a wonderfully chewy, almost brownie-like consistency—it’s the perfect base. These cookies make great gifts any time of the year. They are rich and perfectly decadent.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup butter - room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup - unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 12 oz jar maraschino cherries
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add this all at once to the wet ingredients and mix together well.
- Use your hands to roll the dough (it might be crumbly, just press it together in your hands) into balls slightly smaller than a golf ball, and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Press gently down in the center of each ball with your thumb.
- Drain the cherries (reserving the juice) and place one cherry in the indention of each cookie.
- Put the chocolate chips, condensed milk and salt in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until melted and mixed together. Stir in about 2 tablespoon of the reserved cherry juice to thin the icing a bit--you can add more if it's too thick.
- Drizzle some frosting on each cookie, then bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until almost firm. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the tray, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.