My mom used to make this chocolate pudding cake all the time when I was growing up, and I have always loved it. It always fascinated me how the pudding gets made and how the cake rises above it. It's super rich and dense and the gooey pudding is a perfect contrast for the chewy brownie-like cake. This dessert is fun to make with kids, it's so easy to throw together - and everyone is sure to love it.
Chocolate Pudding Cake
My mom used to make this chocolate pudding cake recipe all the time when I was growing up, and I have always loved it. It always fascinated me how the pudding gets made and how the cake rises above it. It's super rich and dense and the gooey pudding is a perfect contrast for the chewy brownie-like cake.Print Pin Rate Share
Servings: 8 Servings
for the cake:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅓ cup butter - melted
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
for the pudding:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon instant espresso or coffee
- 1 ¾ cup boiling water
to make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in the milk, butter and vanilla until combined and smooth.
- Spread the batter evenly (it will be thick) in the bottom of an ungreased 9" x 13" baking dish and set aside.
to make the pudding:
- In a medium bowl, use a wire whisk to mix together the sugars and cocoa powder, then sprinkle the mixture evenly over the batter.
- Dissolve the coffee powder in the hot water, then pour this over the top of the batter - do not stir it in.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes - until the center looks almost set, but undercooked.
- Let stand for about 15 minutes before serving - spoon the sauce from the bottom of the pan over the top and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 299mg | Potassium: 205mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 52g | Vitamin A: 33IU | Calcium: 123mg | Iron: 2mg
I don't know if I did something wrong, but I suspect that your amounts for the milk are wrong... it wasn't like a batter at all, it was super lumpy. I added about 1 cup in total.
Pinned it . . . gotta make this! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Eating this is like going to heaven. It's REALLY rich so chocoholics will be happy others may need the ice cream to tone it down,It's easy to make and the ingredients are versatile enough to be used for other recipes.