My mom used to make this chocolate pudding cake all the time when I was growing up, and I have always loved it. It always fascinated me how the pudding gets made and how the cake rises above it. It's super rich and dense and the gooey pudding is a perfect contrast for the chewy brownie-like cake. This dessert is fun to make with kids, it's so easy to throw together - and everyone is sure to love it.
Chocolate Pudding Cake
for the cake:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅓ cup butter - melted
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
for the pudding:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon instant espresso or coffee
- 1 ¾ cup boiling water
to make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in the milk, butter and vanilla until combined and smooth.
- Spread the batter evenly (it will be thick) in the bottom of an ungreased 9" x 13" baking dish and set aside.
to make the pudding:
- In a medium bowl, use a wire whisk to mix together the sugars and cocoa powder, then sprinkle the mixture evenly over the batter.
- Dissolve the coffee powder in the hot water, then pour this over the top of the batter - do not stir it in.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes - until the center looks almost set, but undercooked.
- Let stand for about 15 minutes before serving - spoon the sauce from the bottom of the pan over the top and serve with vanilla ice cream.