I found saw this recipe and immediately loved the combination of flavors and possible variations… It is what I call a perfect mix within the Mediterranean basin: Middle East meets southern Europe and Africa. You can adapt this salad and use lentils (cooked until just beginning to be tender) or add some peeled orange (only if it isn't sweet enough).
A surprising fact is that this salad does not have dressing, just the combination of flavors and natural juices of the vegetables. If you do want to make a dressing, I would recommend a plain yoghurt dressing to keep the flavors of the spices intact. Enjoy this recipe and remember to make it your own!
Couscous Salad with Chopped Vegetables, Mint and Cilantro
It is what I call a perfect mix within the Mediterranean basin: Middle East meets southern Europe and Africa. You can adapt this salad and use lentils (cooked until just beginning to be tender) or add some peeled orange (only if it isn't sweet enough).Print Pin Rate Share
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - divided
- 1 cup couscous - giant or pearl
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice - freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 green onion - white and green part finely chopped
- 1 red pepper - finely diced
- 1 green pepper - finely diced
- 1 serrano - or jalapeno
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1 cucumber - peeled and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - halved
- ¼ cup parsley - chopped
- ¼ cup mint - chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro - chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large saute pan. Add couscous and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until couscous is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender but firm, 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne. Set aside to cool.
- Once couscous has cooled, stir in remaining ingredients.
- Serve at room temperature.
Balanced • High Fiber • Vegan • Vegetarian • Pescatarian • Dairy Free • Egg Free • Milk Free • Peanut Free • Tree Nut Free • Soy Free • Fish Free • Shellfish Free • Pork Free • Red Meat Free • Crustacean Free • Celery Free • Mustard Free • Sesame Free • Lupine Free • Mollusk Free • Alcohol Free • No Sugar Added • Sulphite Free • Kosher • B Healthy
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 23mg | Potassium: 456mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1929IU | Vitamin C: 83mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2mg
Leave a Reply