This recipe was submitted to me by The Duck Dive in San Diego, courtesy of Chef Ryan Tuskan. It looks and sounds so amazing, I just thought I had to share it with you all here! There is some time and prep involved, but the end result is so perfectly delicious, it’s worth every minute.
I haven’t made it yet, but based on the reviews on The Duck Dive’s Facebook page, I am sure it’s a guaranteed success. If you’ve dined there, or had this sandwich, please feel free to share your experience with us in the comments section!
Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwich
for the sandwich:
- 1 whole chicken
- ½ cup dry rub
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup butter - melted
- 6 brioche buns
for the BBQ sauce:
- 2 cups BBQ sauce - Sweet Baby Ray's
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 yellow onion - minced
- 4 cloves garlic - smashed and minced
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
for the onion strings:
- 1 yellow onion - sliced into strips
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon dry rub
- ¼ cup buttermilk
for the pulled chicken:
- Preheat oven or barbecue to 350 degrees.
- Smother the chicken inside and out with dry rub, and place on chicken stand.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the upright chicken and then drizzle with the melted butter.
- Let chicken cook for 60-80 minutes.
- Let cooked chicken sit for 30 minutes to cool.
- Hand shred cooled chicken for sandwiches.
- Toss shredded chicken in BBQ sauce
for the bbq sauce:
- Place all ingredients into a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Immediately shut off the heat when sauce reaches a simmer. If you let the sauce boil, it will turn bitter and scorch the bottom of the pan.
- Use immersion blender to smooth out sauce.
For the crispy onion strings:
- Preheat a small pan of oil to 350 degrees.
- Dredge the onion strings first in the buttermilk then into the seasoned flour.
- Fry small batches of onion strings at a time in the oil to ensure crispy strings.
- Let onion strings drain on cooling rack and reserve for sandwich preparation.
building the sandwich:
- Split brioche buns and spread a little mayo on each side.
- Toast buns on grill.
- Place a generous handful of chicken onto bottom bun.
- Top pulled chicken with crispy onion strings.
- Finish sandwich with top bun.