Layered salads are always a great way to impress at a potluck, BBQ, or family gathering. Traditionally they are served in a glass bowl, so you can see all the layers—but once a few people dig in, things can start to get a little messy. I got this idea to try a layered salad in a cake pan from Melissa at ChinDeep—and what a great idea it is. It serves up beautifully, almost like a salad lasagna.
The creamy, zesty ranch and BBQ dressing is the perfect complement to the fresh veggies and chicken. This salad is super-flavorful, ridiculously easy to make and serve, and oh so delicious.
(This recipe was originally published here on 09/04/2014)
- ranch dressing - 1/2 cup
- BBQ sauce - 1/2 cup
- romaine lettuce - 2 heads, washed and cut into 6
- chicken - 3 cups, cooked and cubed
- black beans - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- corn - 1 can, drained
- cherry tomatoes - 1 cup, halved
- red pepper - 1, chopped
- black olives - 1/2 cup, pitted - chopped
- cheddar cheese - 2 cups, shredded
- Whisk the BBQ sauce and ranch dressing together in a bowl and set aside.
In a 9 x 11" casserole dish, arrange half of the pieces of Romaine across the bottom, overlapping them slightly and making sure the entire bottom of the dish is covered.
- Evenly sprinkle half of the chicken pieces on the lettuce, then add ½ of each remaining ingredient - the beans, corn, tomatoes, red pepper and olives. Spread half of the dressing on top, then sprinkle on half of the cheese.
- Layer on the remaining lettuce and the second half of the remaining ingredients again, ending with the cheese.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill overnight in the fridge.
- Cut into squares and serve cold.