Buffalo Chicken. Mac and Cheese. Instead of one or the other, use this easy to follow recipe to combine them both in this rich and creamy, mildly spicy – perfectly delicious casserole. Topped with celery and blue cheese all the elements of buffalo chicken are there, blended perfectly with creamy mac and cheese.
- pasta - 1 pound, elbow shaped
- butter - 6 tbsp, separated
- bread crumbs - 1 cup
- celery - 2 stalks, roughly chopped
- blue cheese - 1/2 cup, crumbled
- all purpose flour - 1/4 cup
- mustard - 1 tsp, powdered
- milk - 4 cups, whole
- buffalo wing sauce - 3/4 cup
- pepper jack cheese - 1 cup, shredded
- chicken - about 3 cups, cooked and shredded
- sharp cheddar cheese - 1 pound, cut into 1
- Heat the oven to 375°F and grease a large casserole dish.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water to al dente - about 2 minutes less than package directions, then drain.
- Melt 2 tbsp of the butter in a small bowl in the microwave, then stir in the bread crumbs. Mix in the celery, parsley and blue cheese and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 4 tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and mustard and cook for about 1 minute, or until smooth and thick.
- Whisk in the milk and cook for about 6 - 7 minutes, until thick - stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the hot sauce and jack cheese; add the chicken and mix well, then fold in the cheddar cheese and pasta.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes, until bubbly.