These cupcakes combine two of the best things ever: cheesecake and brownies. The texture on these amazing cupcakes is perfect - they're not too light yet not too dense. The cheesecake topping is just sweet enough and gives a bit of a crispy texture to counter the chewy brownie. Very, very yummy.
- for the cheesecake swirl:
- butter - 3 tbsp, softened
- cream cheese - 1 8oz (225g) package
- sugar - 1/3 cup
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- egg - 1 large
- flour - 2 tbsp
- for the brownie:
- sugar - 1 cup
- brown sugar - 1 cup
- vegetable oil - 3/4 cup
- eggs - 4
- vanilla extract - 2 tsp
- all-purpose flour - 1 1/4 cups
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- cayenne pepper - a pinch
- cocoa powder - 6 tbsp, good quality
- dark chocolate - 2 oz (60 g), coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C) and line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
for the cheesecake topping:
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in the sugar and vanilla until smooth, then add the egg and mix well - then mix in the flour and set aside.
for the cupcakes:
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer and mix together the sugars and oil until well blended, then add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition - then mix in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, cayenne and cocoa.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture in a few batches, mixing well after each addition, then stir in the chocolate.
- Pour this mixture into the muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full, then spoon about 1 tbsp of cheesecake mixture on top. Use a toothpick to gently swirl some of the cheesecake mixture into the brownie batter.
- Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes, or until a toothpick test comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly in the pan, then remove to cool completely on a wire rack.