My mom used to make this chocolate pudding cake all the time when I was growing up, and I have always loved it. It always fascinated me how the pudding gets made and how the cake rises above it. It's super rich and dense and the gooey pudding is a perfect contrast for the chewy brownie-like cake. This dessert is fun to make with kids, it's so easy to throw together - and everyone is sure to love it.
- for the cake:
- sugar - 1 cup
- all purpose flour - 1 1/4 cup
- cocoa powder - 1/3 cup, unsweetened
- baking powder - 2 1/2 tsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- milk - 1/3 cup
- butter - 1/3 cup, melted
- vanilla - 2 tsp
- for the pudding:
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- cocoa powder - 1/2 cup, unsweetened
- instant espresso or coffee - 2 tsp
- boiling water - 1 3/4 cup
to make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in the milk, butter and vanilla until combined and smooth.
- Spread the batter evenly (it will be thick) in the bottom of an ungreased 9" x 13" baking dish and set aside.
to make the pudding:
- In a medium bowl, use a wire whisk to mix together the sugars and cocoa powder, then sprinkle the mixture evenly over the batter.
- Dissolve the coffee powder in the hot water, then pour this over the top of the batter - do not stir it in.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes - until the center looks almost set, but undercooked.
- Let stand for about 15 minutes before serving - spoon the sauce from the bottom of the pan over the top and serve with vanilla ice cream.