This soup is ridiculously simple, it’s hard to imagine that it tastes as good as it does, but it really is outstanding. The flavors released by the vegetables combine perfectly. You can use chicken stock if you want – I made it vegetarian and it was great. If you want some spice, add some jalapeno or crushed red pepper.
- potatoes - 2 large, peeled and diced
- carrots - 2 medium, peeled and diced
- celery - 2 stalks, thinly sliced
- garlic - 4 cloves, finely chopped
- onion - 1, finely chopped
- butter - 2 tbsp
- green lentils - 2 cups, rinsed and drained
- stock - 8 cups, chicken or vegetable
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat then add the potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic and onion and cook until softened, about 5 - 6 minutes.
- Add the lentils and broth, generously salt and pepper, then simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes - or until the vegetables have softened and the soup has thickened.