This Mexican salsa fresca is the perfect base for guacamole and it’s delicious on pretty much any kind of taco or burrito. It's great in the morning with eggs - just strain it well, throw it in some hot butter for a few seconds before adding some whisked eggs, then scramble it all together and serve with warm tortillas.
- plum tomatoes - 3, very ripe, seeded and finely diced
- white onion - 1 medium
- jalapeno - 1 or 2, depending on spice wanted
- cilantro - 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- salt - use very generoulsy
- lime - juice of 1
- To de-seed the tomatoes, slice in half, then use two fingers to pull the seeds and any liquid out, then chop very finely.
- Toss the tomatoes, onions and jalapenos together in a medium bowl.
- Add the cilantro and salt, then toss again.
- Squeeze a lime over the salsa, tossing it as you squeeze - coating it well with lime juice.
- Cover tightly in plastic wrap and store in the fridge, preferably for at least a few hours before using - shake it up every once and awhile.