These bar cookies are so delicious. The base is perfectly chewy, the topping is rich and sweet - they really taste a lot like pecan pie. They're so easy to make, but they are so good they're perfect for the holidays - to serve to guests or to gift. I made them the first time a few years ago, and have made them as gifts several times since. I have gotten nothing but rave reviews and they have become a definite favorite of mine.
- brown sugar - 1 cup, firmly packed, separated
- butter - 1/2 cup (115 g)
- all-purpose flour - 1 1/3 cups
- salt - a dash
- eggs - 2, large
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- vanilla - 1 tsp
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- coconut - 1/2 cup, flaked
- pecans - 1/2 cup, chopped (or walnuts)
- Pre heat oven to 350 F (175 C) and grease a baking dish (9"x 9").
- Combine 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, the butter, flour and a dash of salt.
- Mix together with your hands until very combined, then press well into the bottom of your baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer until foamy, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining brown sugar, the sugar, vanilla, and salt and mix well, then stir in the coconut and nuts.
- Pour the mixture over the base in the baking dish and bake in the oven for about 30 - 35 minutes, or until the top is set and lightly browned.