These cheesecake bars are so good. They are just sweet enough to counter the supreme tartness of the lemon and blueberry. I baked them in a large 9 x 13 dish, but if you want thicker bars just do it in a smaller dish - adjust the baking time a bit though. I used frozen blueberries, and even though I rinsed them well, there still was a bit of color bleeding into the cheesecake. Fresh blueberries would be optimal. I love cheesecake (who doesn't) and I love tart sweets - and these bars are a perfect combination.
- for the crust:
- all purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
- cinnamon - 1/2 tsp
- walnuts - 1 cup, finely chopped
- brown sugar - 1/2 cup
- butter - 1/2 cup (115 g), softened
- for the filling
- cream cheese - 2 8oz (200 g) packages, softened
- lemons - 2 large, zested and juiced
- sugar - 1/2 cup
- vanilla - 1 tsp
- eggs - 2 large
- blueberries - 2 cups fresh or frozen - if frozen rinse well
- Pre heat the oven to 350 F (175 C) and grease a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, nuts and brown sugar. Rub in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs, then remove about 1 cup and reserve it for the topping.
- Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for about 12 - 15 minutes - or until lightly browned.
- While it's baking use an electric mixer and beat the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl until it's light and fluffy.
- Add the lemon juice and zest, sugar, vanilla, and egg and beat on medium speed for a couple of minutes.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on the crust and sprinkle with the blueberries, then sprinkle on the reserved crumble.
- Bake for about 30 - 35 minutes, or until lightly browned and set. Allow to cool, then refrigerate until chilled.