I absolutely love these muffins. Their texture is perfect – they are super dense but incredibly moist. The combination of zesty lemon and sweet raspberry gives them the perfect flavor.
These muffins are sweet enough for dessert, but hearty enough to serve as a breakfast muffin with a great cuppa joe.
(This recipe was originally published here on 05/01/2015)
- for the muffins:
- butter - 1/2 cup, softened
- sugar - 1 cup
- eggs - 2
- sour cream - 1 cup
- vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- lemon extract - 1 tsp
- lemon zest - 1 tbsp
- all purpose flour - 2 cups
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- seedless raspberry jam - 12 tsp
- for the glaze:
- powdered sugar - 2 cups
- lemon juice - 3 tbsp
- lemon zest - 1 tsp
- seedless raspberry jam - 1 tbsp
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin, or 6 cup jumbo muffin tin.
- Use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. Beat in the sour cream, vanilla, lemon extract and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking soda together then add to the wet mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fill each muffin tin about ¼ full, then drop 1 tsp raspberry jam in the center (2 tsp per muffin if using a jumbo muffin tin). Cover with the remaining batter, dividing it equally.
- Bake for about 18 - 20 minutes (about 7 minutes longer if making larger muffins), or until a toothpick test comes back clean.
for the glaze:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add the lemon zest and raspberry jam and mix until combined.
- Put a dollop of icing on each warm muffin, and smooth it with the back of a spoon.
- Serve warm.