I love the combination of sweet and sour in a savory dish and they blend together so perfectly here. Sweet and Sour Chicken is such a popular dish in Chinese restaurants, and it’s actually pretty easy to make at home. There are a lot of ingredients, and each one is necessary to provide the delicate balance between the opposing flavors. This dish is guaranteed to impress any guests or family members—it’s restaurant-quality delicious.
(This recipe was originally published here on 06/06/2013)
Check out these kitchen essentials helpful in making this recipe:
- for the chicken:
- chicken breasts - 4, large
- salt and pepper - to taste
- corn starch - 1 cup
- eggs - 2, beaten
- vegetable oil - 1/3 cup
- for the sauce:
- pineapple chunks - 1 15 oz can
- corn starch - 3 tbsp
- water - 1/2 cup
- soy sauce - 2 tbsp
- white wine vinegar - 2 tbsp
- ginger - 1 tbsp, freshly grated
- brown sugar - 2 tbsp
- ketchup - 3 tbsp
- crushed red pepper - 1/2 tsp
- garlic salt - 1 tsp
- vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
- onion - 1 large, sliced
- bell peppers - 2, roughly chopped
- water chestnuts - 1 8 oz can, drained
make the chicken:
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite size cubes, about 1 inch - then season with salt and pepper.
- Put the cornstarch into a shallow bowl, then roll the chicken pieces in it. Shake off any excess starch, then dip in the egg mixture and set on a plate. Continue until all the chicken pieces are battered.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then cook the chicken pieces until browned, then place the chicken on a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Discard the used oil.
make the sauce:
- Drain the pineapple chunks and set aside, reserving the juice.
- Put about 3 tbsp of the reserved pineapple juice in a large bowl and whisk in the 3 tbsp cornstarch until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the remaining pineapple juice, water, soy sauce, vinegar, grated ginger, brown sugar, ketchup, chili flakes, and garlic salt then set aside.
- In a clean, large, skillet cook the chicken and heat the 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat and cook the onion and peppers until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, water chestnuts, pineapple and the sauce and cook, stirring often, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce begins to thicken - about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Serve with white rice.