It’s that time of year where simple, easy-to-eat food is sometimes the best choice. I served these to some the other night to some friends with my blueberry ginger mojitos and they were a real hit. They’re refreshing and flavorful, not too complicated—perfect for a warm summer evening. More than a “recipe,” this is really a suggestion, you can change it up by adding different types of cheese, maybe drizzle a little balsamic reduction over them—go crazy, it’s summer after all.
(This recipe was originally published here on 06/27/2013)
- seedless watermelon - 1, small
- cucumber - 1, halved and sliced into 24 pieces
- Kalamata olives - 12, pitted and halved
- feta cheese - 24 pieces, cubed
- salt and pepper - to taste
- crushed red pepper - for sprinkling
- Cut the watermelon in 2" sections, then cut off the rind in an hexagon shape.
Cut the melon into 2" long strips, then cut those, leaving you with about 24 2"x2" squares.
- Put a piece of cucumber on each square, then skewer an olive and a cube of feta with a toothpick before sticking the toothpick through the cucumber and watermelon.
- Crack some salt and pepper over the top and sprinkle with some crushed red pepper.