It’s that time of year where simple, easy-to-eat food is sometimes the best choice. I served these to some the other night to some friends with my blueberry ginger mojitos and they were a real hit. They’re refreshing and flavorful, not too complicated—perfect for a warm summer evening. More than a “recipe,” this is really a suggestion, you can change it up by adding different types of cheese, maybe drizzle a little balsamic reduction over them—go crazy, it’s summer after all.
(This recipe was originally published here on 06/27/2013)
- seedless watermelon - 1, small
- cucumber - 1, halved and sliced into 24 pieces
- Kalamata olives - 12, pitted and halved
- feta cheese - 24 pieces, cubed
- salt and pepper - to taste
- crushed red pepper - for sprinkling
- Cut the watermelon in 2" sections, then cut off the rind in an hexagon shape.
- Cut the melon into 2" long strips, then cut those, leaving you with about 24 2"x2" squares.
- Put a piece of cucumber on each square, then skewer an olive and a cube of feta with a toothpick before sticking the toothpick through the cucumber and watermelon.
- Crack some salt and pepper over the top and sprinkle with some crushed red pepper.