I love deviled eggs. They’re the perfect summer food – great for picnics, work get-togethers and a weekend brunch. I was racking my brain to come up with an interesting version for my food truck for my summer menu when it came to me to re-construct a smoked salmon platter as deviled eggs.
All the elements of a traditional salmon platter are here – the cream cheese, dill, capers and onion – and they combine together flawlessly in this hand-held appetizer bite. The smoked salmon on top pulls all the flavors together. These really are delicious and they’re just out of the ordinary enough to impress.
If you are looking for a variation of thisDeviled Eggs you should check out my Curried Deviled Eggs. YUM!
Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
- 12 hard boiled eggs - halved
- ¼ cup cream cheese - room temperature
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon red onion - minced
- 2 tablespoon capers - drained
- 2 tablespoon dill - fresh finely chopped
- to taste salt and pepper
- 16 oz smoked salmon - thinly sliced and cut into small strips
- Carefully remove the yolks from the eggs and put them in a medium mixing bowl. Use a fork to smash the yolks into a powder. Add the cream cheese and mayonnaise and mix together until smooth.
- Add the red onion, capers, dill and salt and pepper and stir together to combine. Use a spoon to fill the hollowed eggs with the yolk mixture, then roll up a piece of smoked salmon and place it decoratively in the yolk.