Sometimes it’s hard to find a good recipe for a quick and healthy meal that is also hearty. Lentils are my go to for an easy healthy dinner, and this soup is the perfect example. It’s so quick to throw together for a week night dinner, and it’s so good for you. It’s also very customizable – you can add a bunch of other vegetables, or cubed chicken if you want some more protein.
As far as comfort soups go, check out my Greek lemon chicken soup for a hearty, flavorful and easy lunch, side dish or appetizer.
For me the secret for delicious lentils is to make sure they are not overcooked. There are a few minutes only between too hard and too soft. Because of this, I like to check them every few minutes toward the end of the cooking time, because mushy lentils are no good. If you’re looking for a quick and easy, hearty and healthy dinner option – you cannot go wrong with this delicious soup.
Super Easy, Super Hearty, Lentil Spinach Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil - extra virgin
- 2 carrots - peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs - finely diced
- 1 white onion - finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper crushed
- 1 small bunch cilantro - chopped
- to taste salt and pepper
- 2 cups lentils - rinsed
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes - with juices
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups baby spinach
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic, cumin, crushed red pepper and cilantro and cook for another minute or two, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the lentils, and stir together for a couple minutes, then pour in the canned tomatoes and vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils have softened and the soup has thickened a bit. (You can add more water if the soup has gotten too thick.)
- Stir in the spinach and cook for about 2 -3 more minutes, or until it has wilted. Taste the soup and season with some more salt and pepper if needed.
Awesome recipe, Ben. Made it last night. Was delicious 😀 -Joe