I love the combination of sweet and sour in a savory dish and they blend together so perfectly here. This sweet and sour chicken recipe is such a popular dish in Chinese restaurants, and it’s actually pretty easy to make at home. There are a lot of ingredients, and each one is necessary to provide the delicate balance between the opposing flavors. This dish is guaranteed to impress any guests or family members—it’s restaurant-quality delicious.
Homemade Sweet and Sour Chicken
for the chicken:
- 4 chicken breasts - large
- 1 cup corn starch
- 2 eggs - beaten
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- salt and pepper - to taste
for the sauce:
- 1 can pineapple chunks - 15 oz
- 3 tablespoon corn starch
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger - fresh
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoon ketchup
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion - sliced
- 2 bell peppers - roughly chopped
- 1 can water chestnuts - drained
make the chicken:
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite size cubes, about 1 inch - then season with salt and pepper.
- Put the cornstarch into a shallow bowl, then roll the chicken pieces in it. Shake off any excess starch, then dip in the egg mixture and set on a plate. Continue until all the chicken pieces are battered.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then cook the chicken pieces until browned, then place the chicken on a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Discard the used oil.
make the sauce:
- Drain the pineapple chunks and set aside, reserving the juice.
- Put about 3 tablespoon of the reserved pineapple juice in a large bowl and whisk in the 3 tablespoon cornstarch until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the remaining pineapple juice, water, soy sauce, vinegar, grated ginger, brown sugar, ketchup, chili flakes, and garlic salt then set aside.
- In a clean, large skillet heat the 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat and cook the onion and peppers until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, water chestnuts, pineapple and the sauce and cook, stirring often, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce begins to thicken - about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Serve with white rice.