Sometimes you just need a burger - a 100% beef burger. When I make burgers, I feel that simple is best, save the fancy additions for your meatloaf. That being said, I do like to add some cheese to the patty, I like the way it holds it together. This is my standard burger recipe, it works equally well on a flame grill or in a really hot (preferably cast iron) skillet.
The (not so veggie) Burger
- 2 pounds ground beef - 12 – 16% fat makes the best burger
- 1 medium red onion - finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoon parsley - fresh chopped
- 2 cups cheese - optional shredded
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Hand mix the ingredients together in a bowl, form into equal size balls, flatten into patties and grill away.
- Some people like to add egg as a binder, I’ve never had a problem with these burgers coming apart, they hold together very well. I save the egg for my meatloaf.