This easy enchilada casserole recipe is made with black beans, and is completely vegetarian. It's very flavorful and super easy to make, it's a quick option for a tasty, meat free dinner any night of the week.
Vegetarian Black Bean Enchilada Casserole
- 1 red onion - finely diced
- 1 red pepper - finely diced
- 1 jalapeno - fresh, seeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 can tomatoes - 14 oz can diced with juices
- 2 cups salsa - separated
- 2 cans black beans - 14 oz cans, drained and rinsed
- 6 flour tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar - shredded, or monterrey jack cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C), and grease a medium/large casserole dish.
- In a large, heavy bottomed skillet, over medium heat, saute the onion, red pepper, jalapeno and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high, and add the cumin and taco seasoning, stirring well until very fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes and 1 cup of the salsa, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the black beans and stir well, then remove from heat.
- Spread about ⅓ of the black bean mixture across the bottom of the casserole dish, then add a layer of tortilla strips, letting them slightly overlap.
- Sprinkle ⅓ of the cheese on the tortillas, then add another layer of the black bean sauce, then repeat the whole process, so you have two layers of cheesy tortillas, and 3 of the black bean mixture.
- Spoon the remaining cup of salsa over the top of the casserole, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil, and bake in the oven for about 35 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes uncovered.
- Serve garnished with jalapenos, diced avocado and/or sour cream.