I came up with this salad because I wanted to use some shrimp I had in the freezer. I had a bunch of clementines that were perfectly ripe, and I thought they would go great with the shrimp. The cilantro and the onion pair so well with the creamy avocado and the sweet apples, and the spinach gives so much substance and has a great texture. This is not only a beautiful looking salad, it's light yet filling - the flavors are so bright and refreshing, it's really delicious.
Very Colorful Shrimp Cilantro Orange Spinach Salad
for the salad:
- 4 cups spinach - fresh
- 3 cups baby shrimp - peeled
- 1 apple - cored and diced
- 1 clementine - peeled, seeded, and diced
- ½ cucumber - peeled and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - halved
- ½ yellow pepper - seeded and finely diced
- ½ red pepper - seeded and finely diced
- ¼ red onion - finely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro - finely chopped
- 1 avocado - diced and scooped from shell
for the dressing:
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 clove garlic - pressed
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- olive oil - as needed
- salt and pepper - generously
To make the dressing:
- Whisk (or pulse blend) the orange juice with the garlic, mustard and salt and pepper. Slowly add the olive oil until the dressing reaches desired consistency and flavor.
To make the salad:
- Chop all the vegetables, cilantro and spinach, then toss everything together with the shrimp, then top with avocado.