The texture of these sour cherry muffins is firm, but light. The oat topping is perfectly crunchy, but not too sweet – similar to a cherry cobbler. If you have fresh, tart cherries in season, these muffins are the perfect thing to make, they’re oh, so tasty.
from: ben rayl
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 35 minutes
- Yield : 6 jumbo, 12 regular muffins
- for the crumble:
- all purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- oats - 1/4 cup
- brown sugar - 2 tbsp
- sugar - 1 tbsp
- butter - 3 tbsp, melted
- for the muffins:
- flour - 2 cups
- baking powder - 1 tbsp
- sugar - 1 cup
- salt - 1/4 tsp
- eggs - 2, beaten
- buttermilk - 1 cup
- vegetable oil - 1/4 cup
- vanilla - 1 tsp
- sour cherries - 2 cups, pitted and halved
- Pre heat the oven to 400 F (200 C) and line or grease a muffin tin. (for 12 regular, 6 jumbo muffins)
make the crumble:
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, oats and sugars. Stir in the butter, then mix with your hands until pea sized lumps form then set aside.
make the muffins:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in the eggs, buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla until just blended, but still lumpy.
- Gently fold in the cherries, then fill your muffin tins 3/4 of the way to the top and generously sprinkle with the crumble mix.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until slightly browned.
[wpurp-searchable-recipe]sour cherry crumble muffins – – – [/wpurp-searchable-recipe]Add to Favourites