This creamy chicken casserole is loaded with tasty portobello mushrooms and wild rice. A cheesy homemade cream sauce holds it all together - it's a great one dish dinner bake, so easy to throw together. It's a perfect solution for a quick, easy, great meal.
Creamy Chicken, Mushroom and Wild Rice Casserole
- 1 ½ cup wild rice - blend
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 stalk celery - finely chopped
- 1 small onion - finely diced
- 10 oz portabella mushrooms - halved then thinly sliced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken breasts - cooked and chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - shredded
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese - finely shredded
- 2 tablespoon butter - melted
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Bring about 4 cups of water to boil in a medium pot, add the rice blend then cover, reduce heat and simmer until about 5 minutes below package recommended cook time.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Heat the butter in a large, nonstick skillet, then add the celery and onion and cook over medium low heat for about 3 - 5 minutes, until softened.
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the mushrooms and cook for about 3 more minutes, or until the mushrooms begin to release their juices.
- Sift the flour over the mushrooms, stir to combine, then add the stock and milk and cook over medium high heat until thickened and bubbling (stirring constantly) - about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and cheese, generously salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- When the rice is cooked, drain it well, then immediately stir into the chicken mixture.
- Grease a large casserole dish and transfer the chicken to the dish.
- Put the breadcrumbs in a small bowl, add the parmesan - drizzle with melted butter and toss well, then sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Cook in the oven for about 35 - 40 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.