I had a craving for blueberry pancakes the other day and decided to try making them in a more portable version. Muffin form seemed like a logical choice. I wanted to somehow incorporate the maple syrup—arguably the best part of a pancake. Instead of using it to sweeten the batter, I decided to add it to the crumble topping. Syrup on top just kind of made sense.
If you love my blueberry muffins, you have to try my blueberry biscuits recipe with vanilla glaze. While these are very similar recipes they are also very different.
These muffins came out awesome. They actually taste just like blueberry pancakes, and the syrup flavor in the crumble really comes through. These muffins are a great way to take blueberry pancakes with you—to work or to give to friends. They’re original and absolutely delicious.
Blueberry Pancake Muffins with Maple Crumble
for the crumble:
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
for the muffins:
- 2 ½ cups blueberry pancake mix
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 ½ cups blueberries - fresh or frozen
for the topping:
- In a small bowl stir together the flour and brown sugar. Add the butter and either use a pastry blender or your fingers to rub it in, until the mixture forms pea-sized lumps.
- Use a fork to quickly stir in the maple syrup, then set aside.
for the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and spray a 12 cup regular or 6 cup jumbo muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the pancake mix, cinnamon, and sugar in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and stir in the vegetable oil, vanilla and water. Quickly add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the lemon zest and blueberries and fill the muffin cups about ⅔ full with the batter. Sprinkle some of the crumble over the batter and bake for about 17 - 20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick test comes back clean.